Monday 15 February 2010

It all adds up...

Almost two months ago I ordered 12 countersunk, stainless bolts from a company called McMaster-Carr in the states. I needed them to fasten my sprocket and rear brake disc to my PM rear wheel, which uses a really archaic bolt pattern and 7/16'' bolts. A month passed without any bolts arriving. Then a further two weeks. A call was placed and met with the suprising answer: "We cancelled your order due to export restrictions". "-Come again? Export restrictions? I wasn't aware that old imperial bolts were covered by some sort of non-proliferation treaty", I replied. "And why haven't you informed me of the cancellation?" Since the customer relations person at the other end couldn't give me a satisfactory answer, I hung up. Annoyed, to say the least.

Since McMaster-Carr were the ONLY source I could find for the bolts I needed (stainless 7/16'' contersunk must be the rarest bolts in the world), I had to resort to having them custom made. A company called Acme Stainless in the UK made the ones in the picture and had them sent to me within a week. The cost? £65 including postage. Aouch!

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we have been using www.a2stainless.co.uk and are satisfied so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks.

    I'll keep that in mind for next time. They don't carry 7/16 countersunk though..:-)

    /D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know it's a thought too late, but you could have helicoil'd the holes to a more conventional thread...

    ReplyDelete
  5. True. True.

    But I had already had the sprocket and brake disc drilled to fit the inch bolts so I thought it best to carry on with ye olde UNC treads.

    /D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been building my own bikes and hod rods for years. i only order from the UK and have finally found a company that can build be custom bolts and fasteners here in the UK.

    ReplyDelete